Lee Family Lights

Lee Family Lights We're Having A Very Merry Christmas in Lacey, WA

Fire Sale Board…

Author: Ken | Filed under: Controllers Friday Nov 27,2009

So this morning I took the time to disassemble the controller that melted down. As I did I took a few pictures, just wanted to share them with everyone so they can see what I was looking at as I took it apart.

Playing Operation…

Author: Ken | Filed under: Controllers Wednesday Nov 25,2009

So for the last few hours I have been working on my # 8 controller. It was the controller directly after the one that melted down… is that why something is wrong? I dunno. But I can say that I have been talking to people on the D-Light forums and working on the board as I went from my computer to the garage and back several times. At one point I was taking needle nose pliers to pull the rs485 IC chip off and put another back on, as I was looking for the flashing red LED… was like playing “Operation” 🙂 Bottom line is that after checking several things, doing things I didn’t feel comfortable with cause I have never done it… IT’S ALIVE! Evidently, the rs485 chip was bad, so after borrowing one from another board to test it, it worked! So on Friday I need to check an electronics store in town to see if they happen to have an rs485’s. If not, I will have to order some in, which will probably take a week to get it, so I am hoping to go live by December 4th.

I still have 1 more board to troubleshoot, but lets hope its just the rs485 that went bad on it as well cause that would be a relatively easy fix…

Getting there….

Author: Ken | Filed under: Misc Wednesday Nov 25,2009

So I got a package today with the adapter in it and IT WORKS!!! However, I now realize that I can’t talk to a couple controllers, so I am going to have to what I can do to get that fixed. 1 step closer!!!

Pay it Forward…

Author: Ken | Filed under: Misc Tuesday Nov 24,2009

Remember yesterday when I said that a fellow “D-Light-er” in Texas (let’s call him John) was gonna ship me one of his spare adapters to use, well today he told me he not only shipped it, but he shipped it “Next Day Air”, which means I will have it here TOMORROW!! I told him thank you so many times and he asked that I “Pay It Forward” and I most certainly will!

Holy Cow!!

Author: Ken | Filed under: Misc Monday Nov 23,2009

So not that long ago I got an email from a fellow “D-Light-er” in Texas who asked for my mailing addy so he could ship me one of his spare V2 adapters to try!! Holy cow! I was blown away by the generosity!!! Can’t wait to get it and give it a try… hopefully that solves the problems and the lights will go on as usual!

Got the adapter…

Author: Ken | Filed under: Uncategorized Monday Nov 23,2009

So, I got the adapter today, a full day earlier than I was hoping for it, yet it didn’t work!! We did some troubleshooting and it appears that the adapter either failed, or wasn’t worth the shipping price! So, D-Light told me they would ship me a new one right away and then I can ship this one back after I get the new one… so we are still waiting…

Part 1 is shipped…

Author: Ken | Filed under: Misc Saturday Nov 21,2009

Got an email today that told me that my adapter was shipped today…. hopefully that means it will be here on as anticipated, on Tuesday.

Wait and See…

Author: Ken | Filed under: Lights, Projects Thursday Nov 19,2009

So we are in a “Wait & See” pattern right now. On Tuesday we ordered a new USB RS485 adapter, which will hopefully allow us to talk to our remaining controllers and hopefully the one that is at the very least, partially fried.  I have talked to a couple people that thinks that it should work, at least the channels that weren’t directly effected by the fire.  The only way to know for sure is to have a working adapter, which I wont have until probably Tuesday or Wednesday (November 24th or 25th).  If it is to work, I am estimating all but 4 channels would work, based on what I have been told, then I can make a few adjustments in the mean time and the show will go on as close to originally scheduled as possible.  However, we did order a new controller board yesterday…. based on seasonal shipping delays, I am not expecting it until the first week of December, at the earliest (which will still allow us to do a full show through the main part of the holiday lights season).  The best part is that I originally thought it would be $300 to replace it right now, but I was also thinking that I had to replace everything with that controller, when in fact, I should only have to replace, at most, 3-4 output cables and of course, the board. The rest of it can still be used, so that dramatically cut down on cost.  SO… what does this really mean? Well, we have to “Wait & See”….


Author: Ken | Filed under: Controllers Tuesday Nov 17,2009

Things were going great! We were 8 days ahead of schedule. The lights came on last night after being hooked up to the computer… then this morning happened! I have no clue what the issue is, but have been told by the looks of it, “Dead short from hot to ground somewhere.” Not really sure what that means, honestly, but I do know that it means “Lacey, we a have problem!” Below is the picture of what I saw this afternoon when I started looking around to see what the heck happened and why I couldn’t control the lights today. It’s ugly! Right now I am thinking we’re toasted for this year… but I have a few thoughts that might salvage part of the show, even if that means losing 4K in lights, I would wanna go on… we shall see.


Set up continues…

Author: Ken | Filed under: Lights, Misc Sunday Nov 8,2009

With all the rain we have been having, things have been moving rather slowly.  After the big jump on getting lights out last Sunday, I have really slowed down.  However, this weekend, we have made great strides.  We now have out our Trumpeting Angels, our 2 6 foot wire trees as well as the LED snowflakes on each side of the rock well.  Today I have been taking time to start connecting items to their controllers and have all 12 mini trees hooked up as well as a few other items for a  total of 42 channels plugged in so far.  I hope to get back out and put a few more things in before I call it a night, but that will depend on the rain.  With just over a week and 1/2 to go, the only things i am worried about getting in place in time is the gutter line and the roof.  As always, if it’s raining I don’t want anyone up there, so we gotta pray for no rain on Sunday (this coming weekend or the following)!!

September 2020


Recent Comments